The potential physical and financial consequences of alcohol misuse and drug abuse are all too real. This flexible training program clearly and concisely presents information to help keep drivers safe... and help comply with 49 CFR §382.601(b).
Alcohol & Drug Testing: Driver Awareness Training gives drivers the information they need. The easy-to-understand video and print materials highlight the 11 key areas DOT requires you to cover. This program includes several ready-to-use training tools:
- (1) 25-minute, closed-captioned video - Available on DVD (with extra bonus features) or VHS, the program combines engaging video and editing technology with expertise from industry professionals at all levels. Also includes “Did you know?” segments based on common questions customers have asked.
- (1) Instructor’s Guide - Features five situational narratives to help engage drivers in discussion, as well as other major topics: introduction to the topic, how to use the program, regulatory background, overview of required tests, and effects of alcohol and drugs on the body.
- (11) Driver Handbooks - Cover the 11 required topics carriers must discuss with drivers and feature tear-out driver receipts. Please note: This handbook was updated in September 2008 for 49 CFR Part 40 changes dealing with "direct observation" requirements for return-to-duty and follow-up testing. On October 30, 2008, the U.S. Court of Appeals put these new requirements on hold until further notice.
- (1) Trainer Tools CD-ROM - CD-ROM features supplementary information, including content for audiovisual presentations/handouts, quizzes, answer keys, clip art, posters, and a training log. These items can be used as-is, customized, or imported into PowerPoint® presentations. The minimum computer system requirements for the Trainer Tools CD-ROM are Office 2000, with Word, and Internet Explorer version 5.5. (CD-ROM not sold separately.)
- (1) Awareness Poster - Colorful poster highlights the topic and provide visible reminders long after training is complete.
- (1) Wallet Card Sheet - Provides quick, simple proof that training has been completed. Includes one wallet card sheet, perforated to provide 10 cards.
- (11) Alcohol & Drug Testing Reference Cards - Includes essential information about alcohol- and drug-testing procedures, testing requirements, driver rights, protecting drivers' privacy during testing, and testing form samples.
- (1) Confidential Alcohol and Drug File Packet - Includes a variety of forms to help satisfy the recordkeeping requirements in 49 CFR §382.401.
Alcohol & Drug Testing: Driver Awareness Training is available on DVD or VHS. The content of the main program is the same on VHS and DVD, but with DVD, you’ll also get added features!
DVD Main Menu
- Play Program
- Chapter Selections
- Plays entire main program. – (access to chapters by topic)
- Required Testing
- Alcohol Testing Procedures
- Drug Testing Procedures
- Explains the testing requirements for commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers and what is considered a safety-sensitive function.
- Reviews Pre-employment testing (for drugs) and Post-accident, Random, Reasonable Suspicion testing (for drugs and alcohol), and, when necessary, Return-to-duty and Follow-up testing.
- Reviews what drivers can expect to encounter when they must report to a testing facility, including a BAT (breath alcohol technician) or an STT (screening test technician), an EBT device (for evidential breath testing), and demonstrates how breath alcohol testing is done.
- Reviews what drivers can expect to encounter when they must report to a testing facility for collection of a drug screening sample, including the role of a MRO (medical review officer).
- Reiterates the need for required alcohol and drug testing for the safety of the motoring public.
– Provides a quick way to refresh memory on key points of the program to better aid retention.
– Offers additional interviews by industry professionals
– 10 interactive questions; offers correct/incorrect remediation to reinforce effectiveness of training.
Message for Management
– Gives introduction to topic for trainer/management.
A Supervisor's Guide to Reasonable Suspicion Testing Preview
- Offers a sneak peek at training program for related topic.
A Precautionary Vignette
- Depicts a video-based scenario that further illustrates the dangers of alcohol misuse and drug use. DVD Benefits over VHS
- Is adaptable to a variety of training situations: can be used for group training (with a DVD player and monitor) or individual training (on a PC with DVD capability).
- Includes extra “DVD-only” training materials, which adds training options and helps improve trainees’ retention.
- Displays superior picture and audio quality to keep trainees engaged.
- Features instant rewind, fast forward, and search controls to save you time.
- Durable disc is not susceptible to magnetic fields and is heat resistant.
- Transports easily because of its compact size.